Thursday, October 27, 2011

What's Under Your Paper Weight?

Go Rangers!  Anybody else rooting for Texas in tonight's game?  Tonight could be the night that they have worked towards for years.  They have been pressing on towards this goal for a very long time.  I imagine that the team has been focused on this "one thing" above anything else.  They are focused on it when they eat, when they go to practice, and go about the business of their days.  I hope they get their "one thing" tonight!


Speaking of Texas, I am married to a country music fan.  One of his favorites is a tune by Toby Keith that goes like this: 

"Under an old brass paperweight is my list of things to do today
Go to the bank and the hardware store, put a new lock on the cellar door
I cross 'em off as I get 'em done but when the sun is set
There's still more than a few things left I haven't got to yet"

Then he goes on to sing about the real important things...like taking a walk, calling his parents and to just start livin'.  So, what's under your brass paper weight today?  Is there ONE THING, or many?  What's on the very top of the pile? Does the rest of your pile help you with your top thing, or hinder you?  
Our chapter this week was on the "one thing".  Leah lead us through chapter 5 and helped us to look at Paul, David and Mary's "one thing".  Paul said he had not yet laid a hold of his and Jesus said that Mary (the sister of Martha) had chosen the one thing necessary.  And of course David only desired "one thing".  

And what did our study lead us to see as the "one thing"?  The simple answer?  Christ.  More specifically, to know Him and to abide in Him.  How?  Be still.  Listen to Him by meditating on His word and taking advantage of the means of grace.  By crying out to Him for help and, though we don't like this one, go through trails.  I heard the other day that if we always had sunshine, we'd live in a desert.

Leah closed by reminding us that we need to daily plead with him to show us what hinders us from our pursuit of the one thing necessary.  

Hopefully Texas will achieve their one thing!  Now, get back to your paper weight. 

No comments: