Last night we went through Chapter 7, The Freedom of Abandonment and I guess I felt I had the freedom to abandon half the chapter! Time got away from us and we were unable to cover the scriptures on God's love for us. If you haven't looked up the verses on page 80, you might consider doing so...they should warm your hearts.
So, here is a summary of what we did cover: Our main topic was abandonment and the key verse was Galatians 2:20, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." We began the study discussing what it is to be crucified with Christ. We have died to any hold that sin has on us, so we can abandon our sinful nature. This alone is worthy of our meditation! Because we are dead to sin, we are FREE! Free from what? Condemnation, fear, anxieties, people pleasing, works to gain approval form our God and the list goes on. And what are we free to do? We are free to obey God!
And, how are our lives different because of the crucifixion of Christ? We are dead to sin. We have been purchased by Christ. We have been adopted by the Father! We are forgiven.
Even though we know all the above to be true, we still need to contend with our flesh. SO how do we do this? The Spirit lives in us to help us. We deny ourselves ever day, knowing that His ways are best. We submit to our Father.
The truth that we ended with was from James 1:22-25. We need to DO His word. All these truths are meaningless in our lives if we are not daily dying to ourselves and living by the Spirit. So, today, you will have many opportunities to die for Him who loved you and gave Himself for you. What will they be?
So, here is a summary of what we did cover: Our main topic was abandonment and the key verse was Galatians 2:20, "I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me." We began the study discussing what it is to be crucified with Christ. We have died to any hold that sin has on us, so we can abandon our sinful nature. This alone is worthy of our meditation! Because we are dead to sin, we are FREE! Free from what? Condemnation, fear, anxieties, people pleasing, works to gain approval form our God and the list goes on. And what are we free to do? We are free to obey God!
And, how are our lives different because of the crucifixion of Christ? We are dead to sin. We have been purchased by Christ. We have been adopted by the Father! We are forgiven.
Even though we know all the above to be true, we still need to contend with our flesh. SO how do we do this? The Spirit lives in us to help us. We deny ourselves ever day, knowing that His ways are best. We submit to our Father.
The truth that we ended with was from James 1:22-25. We need to DO His word. All these truths are meaningless in our lives if we are not daily dying to ourselves and living by the Spirit. So, today, you will have many opportunities to die for Him who loved you and gave Himself for you. What will they be?
1 comment:
Thanks for the recap! I appreciate reading about what you did since I couldn't be there. :)
Post a Comment