Friday, April 27, 2012

A Helpful Chart

I thought this chart might be helpful...since the question came up on Wednesday night...I believe that Donald Whitney would fit into the "Classic" column.

Spiritual Disciplines

Table below provides list of terms generally associated with spiritual disciplines - and then provides a list of well-respected thought leaders and indicates whether the term appears in their teachings or books concerning spiritual discipline.

DisciplineClassicDallas WillardCharles R. SwindollRichard J. FosterJohn Ortberg
So, You Want…*Celebration of…*Life You've…*
CelebrationXXXX
ChastityX
ConfessionXXXX
FastingXXX
FellowshipXX
FrugalityX
GuidanceX
HumilityX
IntimacyX
MeditationX
PrayerXXXXX
ReflectionX
SacrificeXXX
SecrecyXX
Self-ControlX
ServanthoodX
ServiceXXX
SilenceXXX
SimplicityXX
SlowingX
SolitudeXXXX
StudyXXX
SubmissionXXX
SurrenderX
WorshipXXX
  • Charles R. Swindoll - So, You Want to be Like Christ, Thomas Nelson, Nashville, TN. 2005.
  • Richard J. Foster - Celebration of Discipline, Harper, San Francisco, CA. 1978
  • John Ortberg - The Life You've Always Wanted, Zondervan, 1997.
This is where I got this info from: http://sanctification.wikidot.com/spiritual-disciplines

No comments: