As we discuss fear and anxiety, Daniel continues to walk with me, so to speak, reminding me of his fearlessness. Peggie pointed out on Wednesday a possible reason for his courage .."he resolved not to defile himself", or as another version says, "he purposed in his heart..." and lastly, "he made up his mind". In other words, his victory in overcoming fear, came out of an action taken place in his mind.
Another example of this is seen in Ruth. How did she carry on in a strange land, with a strange people and without a husband? She said in Ruth 1:16, "Entreat me not to leave thee, or to return from following after thee: for whither thou goest, I will go; and where thou lodgest, I will lodge: thy people shall be my people, and thy God my God:" She also determined in her heart to follow God.
What was the result of Ruth's determination to follow Naomi's God? As she grew to know him more, she was able to hide under His "wings". Ruth 2:12 says, "The Lord recompense thy work, and a full reward be given thee of the Lord God of Israel, under whose wings thou art come to trust." What began as a determination and a commitment in her mind, led to being able to trust in a good God, under whose wings she could rest.
And then there is David, who said in Psalms, "I will not be afraid of ten thousands of people, that have set themselves against me round about", "In God I will praise his word, in God I have put my trust; I will not fear what flesh can do unto me" and "Because thou hast been my help, therefore in the shadow of thy wings will I rejoice." He determined to not be afraid, to trust and to rejoice, because God was his help. And the author of Hebrews says that we can also boldly say, "The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear, what man shall do unto me," Hebrews 13:6.
My prayer is that we would determine in our hearts to trust our God, no matter what, and that we would learn what it is to know the safety and peace of resting under God's protecting wings.
No comments:
Post a Comment